Effective Date: April 4, 2023
Information We Collect
We collect the following types of information:
• Personal Information, such as your name, home address, telephone number, date of birth, pronouns, credit card information, and email address (note: we do not store full credit card information); and
• Non-personal, aggregate information, such as information regarding the pages you have visited and your IP address.
Information You Provide
If you choose to provide it, we collect Personal Information when you complete an online form (i.e. subscribing to receive our email updates, enter a giveaway, or RSVPing for an event), make a donation, order merchandise, sign a petition or pledge, sign up to be a volunteer, or applying for a job. This Personal Information may include your name, phone number, email address, mailing address, social media URLs, and credit/debit card information (donations only). We may also manually collect Personal Information, such as Personal Information obtained during an in-person meeting.
Arukah Animal International does not see, store, or retain credit card numbers submitted online, which are processed directly through our payment processor partner (PayPal).
Information Gathered by the Site
Arukah Animal International and its service providers may collect other information in a variety of ways, including:
We log visitor activity in our Site and servers. In order to best serve our supporters, it is crucial for us to be able easily to search server logs when debugging issues. The following are examples of the types of information that can be logged:
• Geolocation based on IP address to suggest the appropriate locale. Location is not stored (i.e. IP is logged, from which location can be inferred).
• Some demographic data via Google Analytics, which is installed on our web properties.
When you use and access our Site, we may store a number of cookies in your web browser.
Cookies are small pieces of text sent to your web browser by a website you visit. A cookie file is stored in your web browser and allows the Site or a third party to recognize you and make your next visit easier and the Site more useful to you.
We use both “session” and “persistent” cookies on our Site and we use different types of each:
• Functionality Cookies (persistent). These cookies allow our Site to remember choices you make when you use our Site, such as dismissing a pop-up or displaying certain content. Additionally, some of our Functionality Cookies remember choices you make when you use our services, such as pre-filling a form from data from previous sign-ups. The purpose of these cookies is to provide you with a more personal experience and to avoid you having to re-enter your information every time you fill out a form on our Site.
• Analytics and Performance Cookies (session). These cookies are used to collect information about traffic to our Site and how users use our Site. The information gathered does not identify any individual visitor. The information is aggregated and anonymous. It includes the number of visitors to our Site, the websites that referred them to our Site, the pages they visited on our Site, what time of day they visited our Site, whether they have visited our Site before, and other similar information. We use this information to help operate our Site more efficiently, to gather broad demographic information, and to monitor the level of activity on our Site. We use Google Analytics for this purpose. Arukah Animal International also uses Google Analytics Demographics and Interest Reporting. Google Analytics uses its own cookies. It is only used to improve how our services work. You can find out more information about Google Analytics cookies here.
For further information about cookies, including how to see what cookies have been set on your computer or mobile device and how to manage and delete them, visit www.allaboutcookies.org and https://www.cookiesandyou.com/.
If you do not accept our cookies, you may experience some inconvenience in your use of our Site. For example, we may not be able to recognize your computer or mobile device and you may need to log in every time you visit our Site.
We may also use pixel tags (which are also known as web beacons and clear GIFs) on our Site to track the actions of users on our Site. Unlike cookies, which are stored on the hard drive of your computer or mobile device by a website, pixel tags are embedded invisibly on webpages. Pixel tags measure the success of our campaigns and compile statistics about usage of the Site, so that we can manage our content more effectively. The information we collect using pixel tags is anonymous and is not linked to our users’ Personal Information.
California’s Online Privacy Protection Act
The California Online Privacy Protection Act protects your right to visit our Site anonymously. Some Internet browsers—like Microsoft Edge, Firefox, and Safari—include the ability to transmit “Do Not Track” or “DNT” signals. Since uniform standards for “DNT” signals have not been adopted, our Site does not currently process or respond to “DNT” signals. Arukah Animal International takes privacy and choice seriously and will make efforts to continue to monitor developments in DNT browser technology and the implementation of a standard. To learn more about “DNT”, please visit All About Do Not Track. If you would like to opt out of Google Analytics specifically, try this browser add-on: Google Analytics Opt-out Browser Add-on.
Arukah Animal International does not knowingly collect or solicit any information from anyone under the age of 13 without the written consent of a parent or legal guardian. You can provide written consent for your minor by contacting us. If we discover that Personal Information has been collected from a child under 13 and their parent or legal guardian has not provided written consent, the Personal Information will be deleted from our system as quickly as possible. If you believe we have this type of Personal Information on file, please contact us immediately.
How Your Information Is Used
In addition to the tailoring of web content described above, your and/or your organization’s Personal Information may be used to:
1. Contact you via email, phone, or SMS (text) regarding updates and important information about Arukah Animal International’s work, events, new services, donation opportunities, or changes to our policies;
2. Accept payment for, ship, and send you confirmation of your merchandise orders;
3. Contact you regarding prizes you win during a social media giveaway;
4. Ship prizes to you won during a social media giveaway;
5. Manage membership in, and award grants through Arukah Animal International;
6. Manage and process your volunteer or job application;
7. Track your activity with Arukah Animal International, such as volunteering, event attendance, and donations;
8. Provide you with targeted messaging and invitations based on your interests, activities, and/or locality;
9. Communicate with companies and their employees about improvements to animal welfare, such as petitions; and
10. Perform anonymized research.
Opting In and Opting Out of Arukah Animal International Communications
You may opt in to receiving emails from Arukah Animal International via forms on our Site. These forms will always clearly state if they are linked to an email subscription list, and/or will offer you the choice to subscribe to receive email updates on submission. Emails sent from Arukah Animal International may include campaign updates, action alerts, fundraising opportunities, and other ways to help animals. We aim to tailor our email content and frequency based on the interests of our supporters. All subscription-based emails sent from Arukah Animal International include a ‘Manage your Subscriptions’ and ‘Unsubscribe’ link at the bottom that allows you to customize the type of electronic communication you receive from us, including the option to unsubscribe from all emails. You are also welcome to email us at email@example.com, or call us at +1 415-855-5606 with unsubscribe requests.
If you would like to opt out of receiving physical mail from us, please contact us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone at +1 415-855-5606 and include your full name and mailing address so we may update our system with your preferences.
If you would like to opt out of receiving SMS (texts) from Arukah Animal International, you may reply “STOP” to any text message you receive from us or use the above-mentioned contact points to request that your phone number not be sent text updates from us. When you receive text messages from Arukah Animal International, we will always clearly identify ourselves as the sender.
When Your Information May Be Shared
We may share your Personal Information in the following ways:
1. Arukah Animal International works with some third-party consultants, vendors, and service providers who may have access to your Personal Information. We do our best to ensure our agreements with those consultants, vendors, and service providers include assurances that they will not retain, sell, rent, or otherwise distribute or share Personal Information for any reason other than providing Arukah Animal International with services. We note that some vendors are subject to the California Consumer Privacy Act (“CCPA”) and their cookie practices meet the CCPA’s broad definition of “Sell” even though no current vendor actually sellspersonal data to third parties in exchange for payment. The services provided to Arukah Animal International by third-party vendors include, but are not limited to, identifying, and providing targeted advertisements, billing, payments, payment processing, order fulfillment, and providing analytic services. For example, we use social media platforms to provide targeted advertising to our supporters and individuals with similar interests.
2. If your organization submits information for the purposes of applying for a grant through Arukah Animal International, we may share your information with third-party coalition and funding partners.
Information Security and Storage
We take the security of your Personal Information very seriously and utilize industry-standard security systems, software, and encryption technologies when transferring and storing Personal Information.
Transfer of Personal Information and International Users
We are headquartered in the United States. The Personal Information about you that we collect, process, and/or use is controlled by Arukah Animal International and is stored on servers located in the United States. If you are visiting our Site from outside the United States, be aware that your Personal Information may be transferred to, stored, and processed in the United States where our servers are located, and our central database is located. By using our Site, you consent to any transfer of this Personal Information.
How Long We Keep Your Personal Information
• If you wish to access, correct, update, or request deletion of your Personal Information, you can do so at any time by emailing us at email@example.com.
• In addition, you can object to the processing of your Personal Information or ask us to restrict processing of your Personal Information. Again, you can exercise these rights by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• You have the right to opt-out of email, phone, postal mail, and text communications we send you at any time. You can exercise this right by clicking on the "unsubscribe" or "opt-out" link in the emails we send you. You can also update the types of messages you would like to receive from us by clicking on the “Manage your Subscriptions” link in the emails we send you. To opt-out of other forms of marketing (such as postal marketing, text messages, and phone calls), you may email us at email@example.com.
• Similarly, if we have collected and processed your Personal Information with your consent, you can withdraw your consent at any time. Withdrawing your consent will not affect the lawfulness of any processing we conducted prior to your withdrawal, nor will it affect processing of your Personal Information conducted in reliance on lawful processing grounds other than consent.
If you have updates for us:
If you would like to update any of the Personal Information we have on file for you, including your contact preferences, please contact us at privacy@ arukahanimal.org to let us know and we will make those changes for you. Additionally, if you prefer not to receive messages from us, please let us know by clicking on the unsubscribe link within any message that you receive, or by sending a message to us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that this request must be made for every email address, mailing address, and telephone number that Arukah Animal International has on record for you.
We respond to all requests we receive from individuals wishing to exercise their data protection rights in accordance with applicable data protection laws. However, we reserve the right to keep any Personal Information in our archives that we deem necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements.
If we have updates for you:
Arukah Animal International
PO Box 16, Mill Valley, CA 94942
Phone: +1 415-855-5606